Lee's Summit Culinary Manager
SUMMARY: The Culinary Manager is responsible for Directs and coordinates food service activities of assisted living community, training of cooks and other kitchen staff engaged in preparing and cooking foods, and ensures safe and efficient food service by performing the following duties personally or through subordinates.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Cooks or otherwise prepares high-quality, nutritious meals with excellent food presentation according to recipes and/or menu.
- Cuts, trims, and bones meats and poultry for cooking; carves meats; and serves sauces, vegetables, soups, and other foods.
- Portions cooked foods, or gives instructions to kitchen staff as to size of portions and methods of garnishing.
- Oversees all kitchen operations including: food and supply orders, food and equipment inventory, food production, batch food preparation and presentation, timely service of meals, portion control, and special dietary requirements.
- Plans, prepares, and executes community special events requiring culinary services in coordination with the Community Director.
- Purchases food and supply products, maintains cost records, and works to meet budget guidelines, as approved by the Home Office.
- Receives and examines foodstuffs and supplies to ensure quality and quantity meet established standards and specifications.
- Supervises and trains culinary staff and coordinates their assignments to ensure economical and timely food production.
- Schedules work hours and assignments; reviews and monitors dietary staff work performance.
- Ensures proper storage and food handling adheres to all regulations and guidelines.
- Maintains clean and sanitized kitchen, equipment, and dining room.
- Ensures the completion of a dietary card on all new residents as well as use of dietary cards for each resident and respite guest at every meal.
- Engages residents in meaningful conversation and activities related to their individual interests.
- Confers with residents’ medical team, dietary card, and Healthcare Coordinator to ensure that meals conform to residents’ diet restrictions and nutritional requirements as prescribed by physician.
- Acts as primary contact with local health department; maintain 100% rating for all health department and state inspections.
- Assures proper food sanitation and infection control procedures are adhered to at all times.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
MANAGERIAL AND BUDGETARY RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints, and resolving problems.
- Budgetary responsibilities include reviewing financial and budget transactions, assisting with budget development, and budgetary control.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Minimum two (2) years’ experience in a management role; Healthcare industry experience highly preferred.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited university; minimum of four (4) years’ experience with batch cooking experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Valid Food Manager’s Permit
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, proportions, percentages, and volume; Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Ethics - Works with integrity; Upholds organizational values.
- Management - Includes staff in planning, decision making, and process improvement; Makes self available to staff; Improves processes, products, and services; Continually works to improve supervisory skills.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; results oriented and committed to achieving objectives and tasks as required.
- Teamwork and Collaboration - Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit. Communicates effectively.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration; Accepts responsibility for own actions.
- Quality Management - Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Business Acumen - Understands business implications of decisions; Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; Aligns work with strategic goals and profitability.
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures; Contributes to profits and revenue; Conserves organizational resources.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Required to stand and walk regularly, occasionally sit, lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Job Status: Full Time